I have recently had some terrible luck with my beloved technology. Both my iPhone and MacBook Pro screen cracked in the same week! I blame my boyfriend for standing on my laptop, but he blames me for leaving it on the floor and I blame London's wet pavements for ruining my iPhone screen, but my iPhone blames me for not using a screen protector. Regardless of who's to blame, there I sat, on the streets of London, completely alone, save for my two very unhappy devices.
Okay, this is not my picture. I didn't take a photo of my iPhone because it's hard for an iPhone to take a photo of itself. Please trust me it looked WAY WORSE THAN THIS.
Anyway, for some, it's not the end of the word - it gives the device character - but you see I begged to differ. I couldn't take Snapchats on selfie mode without a crack-line across the camera and skype calls dismally involved my voice only because the piece of sticky tape that was keeping my screen together HAD to cover the little camera. Which is terrible when all you want to do is show off your newly dyed on-fleek eyebrows to your BFF.
So when I got back to South Africa, my main mission was to fix the cracks in my life.
Basically, if this happens to you, I've been through it and I encourage you to read my following 10 tips to get your device back to its original beauty.
1. Have a cry, it's okay, let it out
2. Compose yourself with the realization that it's just technology and you will survive, especially if you have a game plan
3. Call your insurer - cry (again) on the line if need be - you never know, they might have your device on record or it could be covered under house damage or something miracle-y like that
4. Use your insurance payout, savings (you know, that rainy day account you once set up for this type of thing... Shit you don't have one? Well, me neither... How about this, you bask in the street - your friends and family will in this case #defos understand) and then book your device in (in my case devices - PLURAL) for an assessment at iFix <---- my suggestion if you live in South Africa
5. Accept the reasonable quote they give you because you won't find a better one (trust me, I tried!)
6. Go and get a coffee, read a few chapters of your unputdownable book and browse the new soaps at Lush - before you know it, you'll receive a message that it's FIXED!
7. Squeal for joy when you are reunited with your factory made BFF
8. Enjoy that free chocolate they give you. Because come on, you've been through a lot, you deserve it
9. Log into YouTube and bask in your favourite kind of videos with a jolly old smile on your face
10. Write a blogpost, because you haven't written one in a while and now there's no excuse ;)
I dedicate this blogpost to iFix. For being f(*^ing fantastic!
by Theodora Lee